The result of his postdoctoral research work on angiotensin and serotonin receptor imaging continue to be frequently cited almost a decade after the original publication.
Titles and Roles
- Associate Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Research Program
- Discovery and Developmental Therapeutics
Taofeek Owonikoko, MD, PhD, MSCR, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Emory University School of Medicine. A board certified medical oncologist, Dr. Taofeek specializes in the treatment of lung cancer, thyroid cancer and other cancers of the aerodigestive tract. He serves as Chair of the Lung and Aerodigestive Malignancies Working Group as well as Associate Director of the Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship Program in the Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology.
Dr. Owonikoko completed his primary medical training at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife Nigeria in 1991. He was a resident physician in Anatomic Pathology at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria from 1995 to 1998. He later proceeded to Dusseldorf, Germany for further training in Anatomic Pathology at the Heinrich Heine University from 1998-2000 on an international training grant award from the prestigious German Academic Exchange Program. He received a PhD degree in Anatomic Pathology from the Heinrich Heine University in 2001 after which he proceeded to the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore for postdoctoral training in molecular imaging.
Dr. Owonikoko's research interest is majorly in lung and thyroid cancer. He is particularly focused on the identification and clinical development of biomarkers and new treatment approaches to improve the standard of care for lung and thyroid cancer patients.
Below is a listing of current federal grants for the above principal investigator.
Publications Publication Date
A collection of Dr. Owonikoko's more recent awards include:
- NCI Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award, 2016
- Best Poster Award, CEC Molecular and Translational Oncology Workshop, Leesburg, VA, 2008
- AMGEN Oncology Institute Fellowship Training Award, 2007
- Chairman's Award for the Best PGY3 Resident, 2005
- Chairman's Award for the Best PGY2 Resident, 2004
- Chairman's Award for the Best PGY1 Resident, 2003